|About East Dorset Heritage Trust||East Dorset Heritage Trust
Tel/Fax: 01202 888992
|Follow us on Facebook|
About East Dorset Heritage Trust
The East Dorset Heritage Trust is an environmental education charity, founded in 1987.
Stimulating interest in the landscape, wildlife and archaeology of the area;
Professor David Bellamy OBE
Our Management Board & Trustees
Chairman: Cllr Derek Burt (EDCC)
Nominated by local authorities
Nominated by local charities
Treasurer: Mr A Breakwell
Trust Manager: Sarah Evans
Our Contribution to the Community
East Dorset Heritage Trust is strongly committed to helping and contributing to the community of East Dorset. At present this commitment consists of the following:
Provision of office space and technical support for the Vision Wimborne Dialaride community transport service
Provision of office space for the Wimborne BID
Provision of storage facilities for the The Priest's House Museum
Administrative, secretarial and treasury services for community groups, including Vision Wimborne, Wimborne Community Theatre, Dorset Architectural Heritage Week, Storytelling at the Ancient Technology Centre and EDALE.
About Allendale House
Allendale House is a fine Georgian building in the middle of the market town of Wimborne Minster. It has been home to East Dorset Heritage Trust since 2001 when the Trust moved from Market House in the Cornmarket.
Sir Jeffrey Wyatville originally designed Allendale House in 1823 as a family home for the Castleman family. William Castleman was a Steward to the Hanham Estate. His eldest son, Edward, became a Steward to the Bankes Estate while his youngest son, Charles, successfully campaigned to bring the railway to Wimborne.
Allendale House then passed through several hands before becoming first Miss Susie Funnell's School for Young Ladies then Wimborne High School for Girls.
The building was purchased by Wimborne Urban District Council in 1939 as the Civic Centre. It remained so until the reorganisation of the local authorities in 1974.There then followed a succession of businesses.
When the House became empty at the turn of the Twentieth Century, the Trust moved in and returned the building to community use.